Hello! My name is Erika from A Tiny Rocket. I am a blogger and oil painter from the woodsy land of Portland, Oregon.
Portland is known for having lots of trees and having a ton of outdoor activities. I love the outdoors and always find lots of inspiration being in the sweet outdoors. I think one of my favorite things about getting out of the city is that crisp fresh smell with those quiet sounds of nature. But.. I have a small confession to make! I am a non-out doorsy girl who loves the outdoors.
For today’s blog party, I decided to make a small must have list of complete necessities that I need to survive the wilderness… I mean the outdoors. :)
1. For any outdoor activity this item is a must- now I wanted to share with you this secret. If you go hiking or camping- and want to freshen up. Baby wipes are a must- and they make ones that come in a small travel size container and that are bio degradable.
2. Burt’s Bees Bug Bite Relief. I don’t know about you but mosquitoes just love me and I always get eaten alive even with repellent. This is all natural and provides me with that extra bit of comfort a girl needs out there in the jungle.
3. Nutella. Need I say more? Nutella is great for smores and I think you could practically put it on anything and make it taste creamy and dreamy. If I am on a particular tough hike- I just close my eyes and think of a nice reward that involves Nutella. :)
4. An extra pair of socks. I always throw an extra pair of socks into my bag and I love a fun pair. I am a pretty clumsy gal especially when I am hiking.. always tripping on tree roots or maybe a mud puddle and nothing beats a fresh pair of socks.
5. Sunblock. I burn pretty easily and I always know I miss a spot before I leave for a day trip. They make little fun size ones that fit perfectly in a small bag.
6. Notebook or Sketchbook. You never know when creativity will strike and always carry a little something to do a quick sketch or jot down a quick thought. This is ultra important for complete happiness.
7. A juicy book. One of my most favorite things to do while camping is lounging while reading a good book. One of those books- when time doesn’t matter and you just want to devour the whole book. Lately I have been reading David Sedaris and all of his naughty humor. I highly recommend his books especially when you deserve some lazy reading.
8. A fun camera. Carry a film camera and snap lots of pictures. One of my favorite things to do is wake up early and take a picture of the world just waking up. That top photo is one of my 5 am photo sessions. I love using film- there are no take backs with film and I think there is so much more magic in the photos. I just love capturing adventures!
9. Art Supplies or Craft Supplies. I bring a few sketch pencils, pens and a small water color set where ever I go. I think it’s so important to bring whatever easy supplies you need for your craft. So important- it makes my mind as easy knowing I have paint supplies at a moments notice.