How to Make Your Own Fabric Wreath

fabric wreath

Hi campers! I am here today to show you how to make a fabric wreath that will last several holiday seasons.

The story behind this wreath: Before heading to Kindergarten and my school’s daycare system, I would go to my babysitter’s house during the week. I vividly remember my babysitter being really crafty and around this time of the year, we (the other kids and I) would eat lunch in the living room because she would have the dining room table covered in projects. The projects I remember the most…and have wanted to replicate ever since…are her fabric wreaths. They were beautiful, came in so many different colors and sizes, and just seemed so magical to me. I would wander into the dining room and spy wreaths in various stages of completeness and try to see if it was easy enough for a four-year-old to re-create.

Here I am at 25, finally re-creating the fabric wreaths.
What you’ll need:

wreath supplies
  • Fabric in your chosen colors…if you are making a more traditional Christmas wreath, that will probably be greens and reds. I hope to make a fall wreath for next year with golds, oranges, and reds. For this project, I used 4 1/2 fat quarters to fill the wreath. TIP: Look for fabric with color on both sides. Only one of my FQs did, so I’m trying to convince myself that the faded pieces that show give the wreath a ‘flocked’ look
  • Wreath form – I don’t know how foam will stand up to this project, so go with the straw-filled kind. Mine is thrifted.
  • Package of straight pins (at least 300)
  • Pinking shears or rotary blade with the pinking blade set up
  • Straight edge (like a ruler)
  • The motivation to finish. This is a daunting project and can get a bit boring as you put the fabric onto the wreath form…get your instant queue ready to go, or grab some friends and have a wreath making evening
Steps:

fabric wreath
Cut all of the fabric into 2×2 squares
fabric wreath how to
Using one pin per 2×2 square, begin attaching the
fabric to the wreath form. The pin goes into the
dead center of a fabric square.
diy wreath/>
If you are using different fabrics of the same color family
(like I did), be sure to space out where you place the fabric
squares, this will help keep the wreath even looking in the end.

make your own fabric wreath

You want enough squares on the wreath form so
the fabric is forced to ‘stand up’ rather than lay flat.
handmade wreath

Once complete, hang and enjoy!

Be sure to store your wreath in a wreath box to prevent the fabric from becoming squished (it’s a technical term), or place in a plastic bag if you can safely store it. Also, hang your wreath someplace where friends and neighbors are bound to see it and be sure to show it off to those who miss it ;)
What colors would you use for this type of wreath?
Have you done a similar project?
What decorations are you working on this season?
57 Flares Twitter 2 Pin It Share 37 Facebook 17 Google+ 1 Email -- Buffer 0 57 Flares ×

DIY What I Made

• Hope April 12, 2013, 8:33 pm

I learned this with my mom before she passed, but there was a slight variation. The squares were 4×4″ and we didn’t pin it we used a medium sized phillips screwdriver, centered the cloth around it and dabbed the end with elmers glue and pushed it into the wreath. They came out fluffier and couldn’t be pulled or wouldn’t fall out. works up quicker also.

• Kam April 16, 2013, 8:18 am

That sounds like it would hurt my fingers a whole lot less :X

• Cindy October 6, 2013, 12:45 pm

Thank you, I used the screw driver method as well but I cant remember what side of the fabric. Can you help.
      Cindy

• Terri May 1, 2013, 2:30 pm

I made these with my Grandma as kid before she passed. Wanted to make one with my 4yr old for my Mom for Mothers day but couldn’t remember the specifics. I do recall jabbing the pieces into the straw though :) but not much eles. This helped me alot!!! Thanks!!!

• Carol August 16, 2013, 11:07 am

I remember making this 30 years ago but also couldn’t remember the specifics. I now want to make with my grandaughter. I do remember folding the squares twice to make a triangle, then pinned pointed corner to wreath. Can’t wait to try your easier version. It lasted for many years. Thanks so much.

• Carol August 16, 2013, 11:09 am

Me again. Does anyone know what the equivalent fabric would be in yards rather than use the premade squares? Thanks.

• kam August 16, 2013, 11:27 am

Hi Carol – I’m at work but I think I just emailed you this:

The total yardage works out to 1 yard and 1 fat eighth. So about 36×44 and another 11×18. Hope that helps!

• Elaine September 17, 2013, 11:39 am

I have made wreaths like this before with my mom. We always used a crochet needle to push the fabric into the straw wreath. It made for tired hands that’s for sure. Especially for the giant wreaths. Does anyone know can you make these with coffee filters too?? That is sort of in style right now and I wanted to try it out.

• Colleen September 19, 2013, 1:30 pm

Use a rotary cutter with a pinking blade (instead of pinking shears) and a rotary cutter ruler. You will cut them much faster, can cut layers at a time, and you won’t need to mark the lines.

• Kam April 11, 2014, 8:17 am

SUCH a good idea, Colleen, thanks! I’ll have to keep my eye out for a coupon from the fabric store so I can pick one up soon — it’ll probably make cutting out triangles for my next quilt A TON easier.

• Heather March 2, 2014, 10:46 am

I remember making this wreath in camp, but we used a tool to push them in instead of pins. Thanks for posting!

• fatima March 30, 2014, 7:54 am

I love this one…so easy to make….any fabric will do.
    thank you.