5 fast facts

Kam of Campfire Chic

While I have an About page available for new readers, it’s nice to be more straightforward with some facts about me. I mean, that’s what social media is all about, right? Making connections, sharing a little about ourselves, and whatnot.

1. I haven’t cut my hair in two years

It’s true. I just can’t help but put it off more and more. I let my hair get really long before my last haircut, too…I just chalk it up to being lazy. I’m not-so-secretly hoping that I have enough hair to spare that I can donate some of it to charity once I do decide it’s time to cut it. If you’ve ever donated your hair, or have information on donating, please let me know!

2. I hate driving at night

How dumb is that? I whine like no other if Alex “forgets” his glasses and I have to drive us anywhere at night. I am not the best driver to begin-with, and adding night to the mix just makes me feel so dumb. I get so excited once the time changes and it’s lighter outside for longer.

3. I love watching House Hunters + House Hunters Renovation

…and Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives…and Property Virgins…any of these totally formulaic shows. Alex and I find ourselves saying awful things about the people on the house-hunting shows, I mean, why are you complaining about the color of the walls when you CAN TOTALLY PAINT THE WALLS WHEN YOU MOVE IN?! The worst. I’m hoping that all of our tv-watching will pay off when we finally decide it’s time for a more permanent home base.

4. I haven’t done a stitch of embroidery/cross-stitch (pun intended!) in over a year

You may not know this, but I started Campfire Chic as a support blog for an Etsy Shop I opened in June 2010. One of my biggest sellers (other than some notebooks I should get back into making) is embroidery and cross-stitch patterns and finished pieces. I was stitching non-stop when I first started adding certain pieces (who remembers the Campfire Cocoa cross-stich???) to my shop, but I currently only have patterns up for sale. Check out the Campfire Chic Etsy shop and take 15% off using coupon code GIMMESMORE.

5. I love cookies way too much

Too.much. I bought 5 boxes of girl scout cookies and I ate an entire box of Samoas/Caramel-de-lites in a weekend. I’m in trouble whenever there are cookies in the office, and I’m pretty sure I answered “I am motivated by cookies” in a job interview once. It’s a problem.

In preparation for this post, I searched the archives for previous “fast facts” posts from me, and I’m surprised at how many posts there are!

2 Flares Twitter 2 Pin It Share 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Email -- Buffer 0 2 Flares ×

About Kam

• Jayson February 21, 2013, 6:43 am

It took you a weekend to eat an entire box of girl scout cookies? Should have been a day…..they were Samoas!

• Kam February 22, 2013, 12:32 pm

Samoas are SO GOOD. I ran out and could use some more…my next favorite are those Thank You cookies. yum yum yum

• Emily Dismukes February 21, 2013, 6:57 am

I totally feel you on number 5…I don’t do Girl Scout cookies, but my boyfriend’s roommate keeps a huge thing of cookie dough in the fridge and told me I can make cookies anytime! I told him he shouldn’t give me that kind of power.

• Kam February 22, 2013, 12:33 pm

How nice of him ;) I like that he benefits from it, too.

• Katie Smith February 21, 2013, 9:05 am

I don’t like driving at night either. or during the day! Actually I just hate driving vehicles, I love riding around on my scooter, or my Dad’s motorcycle. ;)

I love your “fast fact” posts. I might have to start posting a few more facts about myself on my blog.. assuming you don’t mind that I steal your idea?

• Kam February 22, 2013, 12:33 pm

It’s not stealing! Go ahead and be inspired :)

• amy t schubert February 21, 2013, 10:00 am

I don’t like driving any time, but Andrew gets super sleepy if he drives at night.
    We are such old people.

• Kam February 22, 2013, 12:34 pm

I’ve lost what I like to call my “driving endurance”. When I was in grad school, I was driving 100+ a day to get to and from campus and it was a breeze, now driving more than 20 minutes makes me antsy and I just want OUT of the car. Cheezits help :)

• Megan Anderson February 21, 2013, 10:23 am

Carmel delights are my jam. I have to keep them out of the house: too dangerous. I’m lying. I buy them whenever I can, I just don’t know enough Girl Scouts.

• Kam February 22, 2013, 12:35 pm

We have multiple dads at work sell them for their daughters…it’s an awful, awful time of the year ;)

• Kristin - My Life as a Teacup February 21, 2013, 11:26 am

Oh man, I’m dreading the arrival of my Girl Scout cookies. I’ll power through 15 boxes of Thin Mints in a single setting if you let me. (I’m also too lazy to get my hair cut on a regular basis xD Like, every month or two? Psht. Once a year, if I make it there).

• Kam February 22, 2013, 12:35 pm

Do you put your thin mints in the freezer?! YUM. Also? Dryer’s makes Girl Scout cookie flavored ice cream this time of the year! weeeee!

• Serena February 21, 2013, 6:42 pm

Ditto #1 and #2 :-)

I have horrible night vision and all of those headlights really bother me. As for my hair, I’m also lazy. Plus, I know that as soon as I cut it I’ll want to pull it back or braid it.

• Kam February 22, 2013, 12:36 pm

I try to INSIST on leaving enough for a ponytail, but whoever is cutting my hair insists giving me a bob-type haircut because my face is so round and they’re like, “of course Asians love this kind of haircut!” RUDE.

• Rachel February 22, 2013, 5:55 pm

With you on the haircuts and the driving.

I have donated hair before though, it’s pretty fun. You need at least 10 inches, sometimes 14 depending on where you send it. The trick to measuring is that you need to put it in a ponytail, braid it, and then measure the braid. When you cut it, cut above the hair tie so that it all stays together and let it dry completely before you send it. Locks of Love is the big organization, but I think Pantene has a donation organization too.

• Kam February 24, 2013, 5:54 pm

Thanks for the info! I think the Pantene one only needs 8 inches, so I’m leaning toward that one ;)

• Melissa February 28, 2013, 11:42 am

I cut and donate my hair every 2.5 years or so. It takes 6-8 ponytails to make a wig for someone, and I’ve made it a life goal to donate enough hair for a wig. I’ve done it 3 times now, so I’m halfway there!
    Advice –
    1- Locks of Love is NOT the only place out there! My first donation went there, but after hearing that they only make wigs for kids with a certain type of disease and get so much hair that they can’t use it all, I decided to look for other options, and my 2nd and 3rd donations went to Pantene Beautiful Lengths.
    2- Wherever you decide to donate to, look at their minimum donation length; it will vary widely. Also look at their requirements. Both Locks of Love and Pantene Beautiful Lengths require dry hair to be put into a ponytail and cut above the band; you then put it in a ziploc bag inside the envelope to mail to them.
    3- When deciding how much hair to donate, realize that another 2-4 inches will come off in evening it up/trimming/layering after they take the donation. I ended up with hair so short I couldn’t even get it into pigtails the first time because I didn’t think about this. If your hair hasn’t been cut in a while, they may need to take some beforehand too to get rid of split ends.
    4- Do it! It’s so worth it! :)

• Kam February 28, 2013, 11:02 pm

WOW! Thanks, Melissa, for all the advice! I’m getting more and more excited to donate it as the summer approaches…I don’t think I can survive with all of this hair!