Skillshare: Learn Differently

I want to share a little secret of mine…or maybe it’s me admitting a guilty pleasure…I’m a life-long learner. What a buzzphrase, right? Life-long learner.

That’s right, I love to learn. I can’t help it…in fact, my grandmother once told me that “learning is our religion”, and that really stuck with me. After finishing my Masters program, I felt a bit lost. I went from being a student for the past 19 years to being…not a student. I filled that void for a while by signing up for online challenges and mini-courses, but I needed something more than a self-paced PDF with ways to document my trips.

Enter, Skillshare.

Skillshare: Learn Differently

I found Skillshare in September 2012 when there was a $5 class about telling your story on Pinterest. I also signed up for another class on customer loyalty…all while also taking part in Amy’s (AMAZING) Onward and Upward course. After being without classes for so long, I hit the jackpot!

A few classes later, and I’m sitting here wondering why I haven’t shared this great resource with you! This is totally something you’d dig.

In fact, you may even decide to teach a Skillshare class (yeah, I took a class on how to teach a Skillshare class–you know me, I like to be prepared!) after seeing how cool the classrooms are and the different types of classes being taught. Seriously. You’ll love this website.

What is Skillshare?

Skillshare has a quick video for you to check out, it’s really well done and does a fantastic job of telling you just what Skillshare can do for you. I’ll try to do it justice: Skillshare is a way for you to learn either online or locally. The teachers are just like you and me…in fact, you can teach a class if you have something to share! There are opportunities to meet up with people in your area who are taking the same class, for you to connect with your instructor via Google Hangouts, or you can take a class at your own pace.

To start, you’ll need to create your free profile. Once you do, let’s be friends! You can find my Skillshare profile here. Then, search for classes and sign up! There is a small fee, but many times there are discounts if you are one of the first students to register, which is nice!

The classes I’ve taken all have some sort of final project, and you get your own section of the classroom to create and share your project. I really like the setup and think it is a great way to connect with the other people in my classes.

Two of my final projects:

• My Pinterest board that I created for my Pinterest class. I should be full of pins that tell the story of Campfire Chic’s core values
  • I took a class by the Director of Possibility from Lululemon/Founder of igolu, which focused on goal-setting as a way to create the life you want. My final project was a 5 and 10-year plan for my life that included health/fitness, relationship, and career goals

I’m just finishing up another class, but I’m going to talk about that one in a few weeks after I’m able to better put my final project together to share with you all!

Have you taken a Skillshare class?
If you could learn something, what would it be?

7 Flares Twitter 3 Pin It Share 0 Facebook 4 Google+ 0 Email -- Buffer 0 7 Flares ×

Behind the Scenes Found Review Self Help

• Adina | Gluten Free Travelette March 5, 2013, 8:50 am

Oh I love love love Skillshare! I just discovered it about a month ago and am currently taking a Map Design course taught by Anne Ditmeyer of Pret-a-Voyager. It’s amazing and has really helped me to use new tools.

I fit into that life long learner category too and having been out of school for the last 6 years or so, it’s such a great way to push yourself.

• Kam March 6, 2013, 8:32 am

Map Design sounds like it will be beautiful and challenging! I’m excited to see what it has in store for you! I think I need to cut back on the classes I’m taking and focus on the the class I was designing to teach for Skillshare :) I’m nervous!

• Kristin - My Life as a Teacup March 5, 2013, 9:46 am

How have I not heard about Skillshare before? I’m going through student-withdrawal too – I just love learning new things! If I could just stay in college and amass degrees, take fun classes, and write papers for the rest of time, I totally would xD

• Kam March 6, 2013, 8:32 am

YES, totally agreed! Master’s programs, beware! I want to collect you all ;)

• Rachel March 5, 2013, 4:51 pm

This is so cool. I’m still in school right now, so I think I’ll stick with my classes, but I can totally see using this in a little while after I graduate.

• Kam March 6, 2013, 8:33 am

Totally! There are some other fun classes that may interest you while you’re still in school. There are some cooking related ones that teach you how to make 1 thing, like no-fail pizza dough! I thought it was pretty neat and a nice break from writing out my life goals :D

• Anke March 6, 2013, 6:07 am

I came across Skillshare a couple of weeks ago and immediately signed up for 2 courses (I’m in Anne Ditmeyer’s class, too:)! My work even paid for them. I can’t wait to get started!

• Kam March 6, 2013, 8:34 am

WOW! I wish my work would pay for mine, but I guess $5-25 here or there isn’t too bad, right? If you read this, can you link me to your project? I want to check it out :D

• Julie March 6, 2013, 4:58 pm

KAM,
    I’m new to your site thanks to the 30 lists. I’m a National Park girl too….except I need my creature comforts and always sleep in a bed – haha.

LOVe, LOVE, LOVE Zion. Utah is one of my favorite states because of all the national parks. I’ve been to Zion, Bryce, and Arches. Anyway,
    If you get a chance to put Acadia NP in Maine, on your list you will not be disappointed. Awesome hiking, ocean right there and a town where you can have lobster every night. Fall is the best…less people.

Can’t wait to see where you go this year. We’re heading to Banff CA in September.

Julie

• Kam March 11, 2013, 11:01 am

Thanks, Julie! I am hoping to get to all of the U.S. National Parks, so Acadia is on the list! There is a film festival heading my way that is showing off some footage from Banff, I’m excited to see what that park is all about :)