3 Reasons to Take a Break

3 reasons to take a break from Campfire Chic

To do lists. Productivity hacks. Streamlining social media. Inbox zero. Deadlines. Updates. Notifications. A growing RSS feed. Pitches.

It’s enough to make your head explode.

So why not take a break?

I must be crazy, right? You’re just much too busy to step away from the computer/phone/tablet. I just can’t possibly understand. There are blog posts to be written, statuses to be updated, and emails to be answered! I do understand. That’s why I’m telling you this: It’s OK to take a break.

I’m not saying that you need a full break, but maybe it would do you good to take a step back over the weekend or to disconnect a few nights a week. I know it helps me! But maybe you need a few more reasons why…

3 reasons to take a break:

Help Avoid Burnout

You are amazing and fantastic. But there is such a thing as having too many irons in the fire. And it’s true that multitasking isn’t always the best solution. In an effort to avoid burnout and a possible complete freak out down the road, let’s take a break. It’s okay to say “no, thank you” to awesome opportunities. It’s okay to not have a blog post up on that random Thursday. It’s perfectly acceptable to not update your Instagram/Pinterest board/Twitter account for a few days. Focus on what needs to be done right now — Pinning that Paleo birthday cake can wait. Burnout gets messy, burnout leaves you in the sandpit disguised as quicksand, burnout is hard to overcome. Take a break.

Let People Miss You

BUT KAM, MY FANS!!” Look. Let people miss you. Recruit some guest bloggers for your site for a few days and let your readers miss you a little bit. Take a look at your Twitter and Instagram feeds…how often are you currently posting? Once an hour? Once every 15 minutes? Let’s leave your fans wanting a little bit more and you’ll find that you have some time to wash your hair or change the laundry. Your fans will still be there. Step back and take some time for yourself — maybe you’ll inspire your readers to do the same.

Live the Life You’re Busying Documenting

If you’re a blogger or other memory-keeper, it may be time to take a break from the message boards and chat rooms and to get back to doing what you’re trying to document…your LIFE. Turn off your push notifications and take your dog to the park, rent a kayak, go to the movies…something that forces you to disconnect for a while. Live that life you’re telling us about all the time! And you know what? feel free to not tell anybody about it…It is perfectly OK to be a blogger and not share every little piece of your life. It gets exhausting  your hands will thank you for the break from the keyboard, and your friends/family/partner will appreciate having you and the experience just between you two! Get out there and live.

What other reasons would you add to this list?

Productivity Self Help

• Megan Anderson April 15, 2013, 6:11 am

I’d add “Give Yourself Time to Have Ideas” to the list. By best ideas don’t come when I’m staring at a computer screen, they come when I’m off doing other things! (Usually menial tasks like loading the dishwasher or taking a shower work for me. Let your mind wander!)

• Kam April 16, 2013, 8:19 am

You are SO right!

Some of my best/favorite ideas come while I’m out on the trail…time away from others/the internet and really allow myself to work through some problems and how I want to execute something.

• Adina | Gluten Free Travelette April 15, 2013, 8:48 am

Yes to all of this – especially the last one. I’ve tried to be more present in all my activities over the last month and I’m finding I’m more relaxed. happier, and I get way more stuff accomplished. Recently, I’ve been leaving my phone behind on walks – so I’m not tempted to tweet/instagram, etc and when I take personal trips – I don’t post on my blog. I let it go quiet and just really take a break to enjoy the life that fuels the content for my online outlets.

• Kam April 16, 2013, 8:20 am

Leaving your phone behind is a great idea. I might just have to do that at lunch today :) The people I’m sitting with (yeah, grammar) deserve all of my attention, not just what I have to give between checking my phone. Thanks for the reminder

• Katie Smith April 15, 2013, 8:56 am

This post is fantastic. I always have trouble allowing myself to take a break.

• Kam April 16, 2013, 8:21 am

Same here! I found that adding silly things like video games really helps me step away :)

• Kristin - My Life as a Teacup April 15, 2013, 10:32 am

Ugh, burnout ><; Taking a break is such a nice thing every now and then, otherwise I'd go crazy(er!)

• Kam April 16, 2013, 8:21 am

I’m always a little bit nervous about getting burnt out! YIKES.

Who are we kidding, Kristin, we ARE crazy ;P

• Jules Hollis April 15, 2013, 11:40 am

LOVE THIS!! I am going through burn out right now. I am taking a break for a little while to focus on my real life. I couldn’t keep up anymore and something had to give. For me, that was my online world. I hope to come back later this year. Thank for posting this.

• Kam April 16, 2013, 8:22 am

What an awesome/brave choice. Thank you for the reminder that it’s possible to step away and actually live in the “real” world.

• nikkiana April 15, 2013, 1:12 pm

Excellent advice! I know I’ve found it’s really easy to get overwhelmed… and if I don’t take a step back from things, I don’t create quality content.. and that’s what gets people to pay attention in the first place.

• Kam April 16, 2013, 8:23 am

So true about quality going down. I feel like when I’m my most stressed my blog posts sound too forced or my projects seem to be lacking heart.

• Justin April 15, 2013, 3:11 pm

We just took a break and unplugged this weekend. We spent time at a family cabin that does not get cell phone signals and no Internet. Needless to say by knowing it’s not possible to check my email/facebook/twitter it was way more relaxing than staying in a motel with wifi.

• Kam April 16, 2013, 8:29 am

Justin, that sounds amazing! I bet you were able to fill your time in much more interesting/family-oriented ways than checking your phone/email/Twitter :)

• Lindsey April 16, 2013, 3:40 pm

Right on time with this one. This past weekend I took time for myself and it felt really good. It wasn’t as big of a break as I need, but it was enough to make me feel a little more energized on Monday. :)

• Kam April 22, 2013, 4:39 pm

I think it was a little more timely than we anticipated. Hope this Monday was better than the last one!