Kam Goes to: Portland, Oregon

Portland Oregon

You know how I keep mentioning going on adventures?

Alex and I packed our bags Friday night for an early flight last Saturday from LAX to PDX. Yep, we headed up to Portland for a long weekend and didn’t really tell many people about it. Why? Because we didn’t have a solid reason for going other than, “why not?” and because there is a limit to how many times I can listen to somebody tell me how I just have to go to Voodoo Donuts.

Sometimes, you just need to book a flight and get out of town.

Kennedy School Portland

breakfast in Portland

Portland Saturday Market

It was hot last week in Southern California…like, in the 90s, so we were hoping for gloomy weather in Portland. As the weekend drew near, we saw that it would be in the mid-80s all weekend, which turned out to be perfect for us considering we didn’t rent a car and ended up walking all over the city. A soggy walk in TOMS to find breakfast would not make for a happy-Kam.

We stayed in the Lloyd Center area right across the street from a MAX light-rail stop, which was an awesome deal for getting us to and from the airport ($2.50 per person rather than a $30 cab ride) and in and out of the downtown area. Our hotel was also a few blocks away from a bouldering gym, which was a huge surprise to us and a great way for us to kill some time on Monday before our flight.

Alberta District Portland

Beer Flight Portland

Vegetarian Pizza

Most of our photos of the weekend involved what we ate…can you blame us? It’s nice to find so many restaurants with vegetarian and vegan options without the default veggie burger. We were also thrilled to find out that the craft beers in Portland never cost us more than $3.50 a pint. That would be out of the question in our neck of the woods…oh, and no sales tax? AWESOME.

We had breakfast at:

We enjoyed lunch and dinner at:

circuit bouldering portland

LAX Airport Terminal

What did we actually do? We walked around a ton, visited Powell’s bookstore, hit a few comic book stores, hunkered down at Ground Kontrol classic arcade and bar, spent the morning at the Portland Saturday Market, I drank plenty of iced coffee and iced tea, watched lots of basketball, went climbing at Circuit Bouldering Gym, and spent even more time walking.

Have you been to Portland?
If you were to book a long weekend right now, where would you go?

About Kam Adventure Travel.

• Kristin - My Life as a Teacup May 9, 2013, 4:42 am

Portland sounds/looks awesome! I’ve always wanted to go; something about it just seems so appealing.

I also like that donuts were part of your justification for going xD

• Kam May 23, 2013, 10:15 pm

You’ll get there! Much less expensive than we imagined. You will love it so much!

• Adina | Gluten Free Travelette May 9, 2013, 7:41 am

How fun – I totally understand the need to just get out of town and not really tell anyone about it (and I get that VooDoo Donuts thing…). Portland is one of our favorite destinations for a weekend away.

• Kam May 23, 2013, 10:16 pm

I bet you love it for all the GF options, too! I feel like the entire city really understood the need to have alternatives. Even the arcade bar had GF options :)

• amanda May 9, 2013, 10:04 am

I agree! Sometimes it just feels good to get up and go. If I could go anywhere for a long weekend, it would probably be Phoenix. I’ve never been but I feel like I would like it.

• Kam May 23, 2013, 10:16 pm

I haven’t been to Phoenix, either, and would really like to go!

• nikkiana May 9, 2013, 1:16 pm

Oh man… I could so use a long weekend and a change of scenery right now. So envious! I think I’d probably book a long weekend up in Maine. I love the Maine coast.

• Kam May 23, 2013, 10:17 pm

I haven’t spent much time on the east coast, I’m so interested in seeing the Maine coastline!

• Candice May 9, 2013, 3:34 pm

I’m so glad you had a good time in Portland. It’s really the best city! Next time you guys come up we’ll have to play the 4 person Pac Man at Ground Kontrol and take you to The Green Dragon for some yummy beers.

• Kam May 23, 2013, 10:21 pm

Next time I’m in Portland, I hope you’re not juicing! I would’ve felt so guilty to hang out with you two only to not have you eat with us :/

• Laura May 9, 2013, 4:50 pm

So did you visit VooDoo Donuts??

• Kam May 23, 2013, 10:22 pm

Nah, we hit it last time we drove through there and apparently there are a few ‘gourmet donut’ places popping up around home…? Next time!

• Serena May 9, 2013, 7:37 pm

I was in Portland in early April and went to Ground Kontrol at a friend’s recommendation. I surprised myself with how much fun I had there. I hadn’t realized I missed those games that much (and how bad I was at them) :-)

I’ve been craving a trip to Providence, RI. I read an article about a couple of fun things to do and really want to go see their WaterFire installation.

• Kam May 23, 2013, 10:23 pm

I loved Ground Kontrol so much! That is a big thing I would recommend to others.

I was in Providence for a short time for my cousin’s graduation right before starting Campfire Chic! It’s beautiful there!

• Aurora May 10, 2013, 6:47 pm

I live an hour away from Portland. I love going there as much as I can! I just love to wonder around and people watch! There is always something to there.

• Kam May 23, 2013, 10:24 pm

I wouldn’t be able to stay away, if I was you! It’s SO different than LA – LA is super spread out and impossible to do in a day.

• Rachel May 14, 2013, 1:05 am

Sounds like a great trip! I’ve been to Portland once and I went to Powell’s Bookstore and Voodoo donuts, of course. I think it’s cool that you guys did some normal stuff you like to do, like rock climbing, on vacation. Are you vegetarians? The Pacific Northwest is pretty veggie friendly :)

If I could go anywhere right now I’d go to the beach! I live in Norway where a hot day is 60°.

• Kam May 23, 2013, 10:25 pm

Alex is a vegetarian and I’m totally okay with a flexitarian lifestyle but I refuse to give up bacon ;)

A hot day being 60 would drive me nuts! It’s pretty perfect here this week at about 75. I’d love to visit Norway, it looks beautiful

• Yumaris May 22, 2013, 6:00 am

How much fun it would be just to get up and go just because! Kuddos to you for having a sporadic adventure.

• Kam May 23, 2013, 10:25 pm

Thanks, Yumaris :)

• Andrea Yancey Reyes April 17, 2014, 4:09 pm

I’m a Native Portlander and I must say that last week was very beautiful. My favorite part of Portland is the gyros at the Saturday Market. I’ve never been to the bouldering gym, but I do love going to OMSI on the regular.

• Kam April 21, 2014, 10:34 pm

I’m going to be in Portland soon but unable to make it to the Saturday Market :( :( I’ll have to plan another trip to grab a gyro :D