This is the second time going to Glen Aulin backpackers campground in Yosemite National Park. You can read about the trail here. This is also the second time we’ve gone backpacking the weekend before going to Comic-Con! We’re pretty into walking with backpacks, apparently.
What was different this time around:
- Two friends joined us
- I carried a lot less weight
- It took less time to get to camp (about 3 hours in and 3 hours out)
- We spent more time exploring the area once we made it to camp
Tuolumne Meadows to Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp
A few months ago, I put in for 6 wilderness permits for an overnight trip to stay at the backpackers campground at Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp in Yosemite National Park. Alex and I figured we would be able to wrangle a few people into coming with us, and ended up getting 2 friends to join us!
Our friends, Arya and Paul, joined us for their first backpacking trip and I’m 80% sure they had a great time. We stayed in Mammoth Lakes, CA the night before getting on the trail and then headed straight home when we got off the trail.
Some of the highlights from the trip:
- Swimming in the ice cold water below the waterfall at camp
- The guys waiting for me to show them the way across some granite
- Rocking it on the way into camp (and forgetting that all the downhill means UPHILL on the way out)
- Trying out a new tent (the Big Agnes Fly CreekUL 2)
If you’re interested in some of the clothes/gear we have with us:
- My pack: Gregory Deva 60; leggings are prAna Ashley legging in black in the last photo and Omni-Shade shorts from Columbia in the first; my boots are Keen PCT boots; my water resevior is the Platypus Big Zip; that yellow thing is my Therm-a-Rest sleeping pad; I’m wearing a shirt from target in the last photo but a tank from Walmart in the first
- Alex’s pack: Gregory Baltoro 75
- The guy with the hat is wearing the Teton Sports Escape 4300 backpack