In which I donate my hair to Pantene’s Beautiful Lengths Campaign

Maybe you saw my big day on Instagram, but I wanted to talk a little bit more about it here: I donated about 8.5 inches of my hair!

I have the worst experiences getting my haircut. In fact, I’m so worried about cutting my hair that I’ve had maybe 4 haircuts (including trims) over the past 8 years. So…there’s that. The last time scissors came close to my hair (other than me trimming my split ends at work) was two years…maybe more?

I’ve been putting off this haircut for so long that I just started answering the big question, “when the hell are you going to cut your hair??” with, “I need it to grow a bit more before I can donate it! YES, donate it!” The thing is…when you tell people you’re going to donate your hair, you gotta do it.

Before and After Hair Donation

I made an appointment at Jabez Salon in Yorba Linda, CA with Melissa on a hot Friday. One of my girlfriends from work suggestion I go to that salon and when I met Melissa, I knew it was fate. Melissa is a rock climber, does yoga, and when she asked me about my “morning routine” she knew right away to make the process as quick and easy as possible.

After she combed my hair out, I saw just how long my hair was…nearly to my hips! No wonder I was getting headaches on a daily basis and going through so much shampoo! After that, the process was a blur — She made two ponytails out of my hair, measured about four times to make sure we were meeting the minimum 8 inches and then went to grab some heavy-duty scissors…and it was over! The rest was a regular haircut (with scalp massage!) and I walked out with a lot less hair, a baggie full of ponytails, and a few ideas on how to deal with my hair.

If you want to learn more about Pantene’s Beautiful Lengths program, visit their website.

3 Flares Twitter 2 Pin It Share 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Email -- Buffer 1 3 Flares ×

About Kam

• Mandy July 8, 2013, 6:32 am

From what I can tell, it looks fantastic! And that’s so great of you to donate it.

• Kam July 21, 2013, 6:01 pm

Thanks, Mandy. I just wish my hair always looked just-from-the-salon-great ;)

• Emily July 8, 2013, 7:00 am

It looks great & I’m sure it’s so much more comfortable. I’ve got long hair, myself, and those headaches are a pain – not to mention the extra weight in the shower or when you’re swimming!

• Kam July 21, 2013, 6:02 pm

I’m going through so much less shampoo, too! I used to dread washing my hair because I don’t like to use the blow dryer and just knowing it was going to take HOURS to air dry my hair made me sad.

• Justine July 8, 2013, 7:26 am

Is it just be or does your hair grow exceptionally fast?
    I love that you don’t get it cut often too…. I get my cut maybe once a year.. (but it doesn’t grow like yours) and that’s only because I can’t stand spending money on cutting my hair.

Love that you donated it! You have great hair.

• Kam July 21, 2013, 6:03 pm

Well, in my pic in the sidebar, my hair was kind of long, but that was from April 2012, methinks, and when the stylist combed my hair out, it was down to my hip bones! I heard that tying your hair in buns/ponys/braids makes it grow faster, so maybe that’s the case?

• Megan Anderson July 8, 2013, 10:46 am

I love your new cut! And Melissa sounds like your stylist soul mate :)

I can’t wait to donante mine in November too, it is SO HEAVY. I avoid getting haircuts because I feel bullied (I care about beauty stuff pretty much none), but I finally found someone I’m comfortable with (also related to starting with the question: “What do you already do?” like Melissa did), so now it’s great.

Just curious, why did you go with Pantene’s Beautiful Lengths vs. Locks of Love? Are there pros/cons to the different campaigns?

And, side note but related to donating, you are also signed up to be a bone marrow donor, right? (If I’m mis-remembering, sorry.) Do you have a post about that / favorite resource to send me to?

• Kam July 21, 2013, 6:04 pm

I chose Pantene because they didn’t request as much hair and because I wanted my hair to go to women, not just children with cancer. I also heard that Lock sells the hair to third parties, which I’m not okay with.

• Kam July 21, 2013, 6:07 pm

I went with Be the Match to get on a bone marrow registry. I was able to do it when the registration was free (a half-Asian girl needed a donor and so there was a free code available to get people to register) but I think it’s normally $50 to go through the process? I could be wrong, though: http://bethematch.org/Home.aspx

• Dirtbag Darling July 9, 2013, 12:38 pm

What a sweet and BRAVE thing to do! Did you cry at all? I totally would have.

• Kam July 21, 2013, 6:08 pm

I seriously thought I would burst into tears at any moment and at one point I almost did…because she cut my hair before I could ask her to take a photo for me! SO DUMB, but that’s why bloggers are crazy, right?

• Kelly August 22, 2013, 7:38 am

That’s so great that you did that! I will be donating my hair for the fourth time today (trust me I know how you feel about hair cuts, every time I donate I end up crying) but I have always sent my hair to locks of love, but I started investigating their program and it doesn’t seem that they use all the hair and children have to pay for synthetic hair if they don’t meet the criteria, so I think this time I am going to send my hair off to Pantene or another company that I can trust 100%.

• Kam August 22, 2013, 7:48 am

That was one of my concerns, too! I got some (private) backlash from people wanting to know why I wouldn’t give my hair to children, but I didn’t agree with those practices…Have a great day and I hope that the donation goes swimmingly!