Kam Visits the Hoh Rainforest – Olympic National Park

Kam visits the Hoh Rainforest in Olympic National Park - Campfire Chic

Alex and I spent a good amount of time hiking around the Hoh Rainforest between visits to the Washington Coast during our trip to Olympic National Park.

The Hoh Rainforest is south of Forks and a little north of a long stretch of beaches popular with park visitors. There aren’t many services in this portion of the park, so bring whatever food you think you may need. There is a nice visitor center, complete with a banana slug stamp for your U.S. Parks Passport! There is plenty of parking, picnicking areas, interpretive trails, and some longer trials, like the one we were on for a few hours.

┬áThe Hoh Rainforest in Olympic National Park is one of those places that is hard to describe. I’ll let the photos do the talking.

Hoh Rainforest - Olympic National Park - Campfire Chic
Olympic National Park - Hoh Rainforest - Campfire Chic

This part of the park is worth the drive, it is incredible to see how lush everything is and there is even an interpretive area that shows just how much precipitation that portion of the park receives on an annual basis. You can also hike to one of the named glaciers in the park, which seems incredible to me.

There is a good amount of wildlife in this portion of the park, too…including the banana slug! How cool is that thing? It was crossing the trail and I’m happy I saw it before I squished it! We saw a smaller, less yellow, version snuggling in some moss on a tree earlier, so this was a big surprise. We were completely surprised to find it there. Also? Elk. Everywhere. They were kind of like dinosaurs…just, like, there whenever we turned a corner or had the feeling somebody was looking at us. Creepers. Elk are creepers.

Have you visited a rainforest?

5 Flares Twitter 0 Pin It Share 1 Facebook 0 Google+ 4 Email -- Buffer 0 5 Flares ×

Adventure National Park National Parks Travel. Yoga

• Kristin - My Life as a Teacup July 10, 2013, 5:40 am

Ooh! How cool! I feel like every time I comment on one of your posts I act like I’ve never been outside of my house before xD Mountains! Coasts! Rainforests! I swear I do get out sometimes.

Creeper elk -giggle snort-

• Kam July 21, 2013, 6:09 pm

I seriously laughed so loudly when I first read your comment, Kristin! You’re too funny, and no, it just sounds like you need to get on the Left Coast sooner rather than later ;)

• Crystal July 10, 2013, 8:17 am

These are beautiful! I love rainforests! I’ve been to the Amazon in northern Brazil and in Northern Costa Rica. So peaceful and full of life… we must protect them!

Looks like you had a wonderful time ;)

• Kam July 21, 2013, 6:09 pm

I would LOVE to go to South America, do you have any travel tips?

• Brittany July 10, 2013, 8:32 am

Ahhh, so pretty! There are so many people I know who have gone to Olympic National Park in the past few months and I’m pet-sitting for two sets of friends that are going up there this weekend. I’m totally missing out! Thanks for sharing photos!

• Kam July 21, 2013, 6:10 pm

You should totally go and check it out! What’s summer without a quick vacation, right?

• Holly July 14, 2013, 6:46 pm

Love you pictures!! We are heading there in a week…and I am struggling on what to wear while hiking in the Hoh National Rainforest…Any suggestions?

• Kam July 21, 2013, 6:12 pm

Hi Holly, I THINK I replied to you via email on this, right? Goodness, I hope so!

Go in with layers, you may heat up while hiking around and yet get caught in a downpour. Better to be safe than sorry. I wore some convertible pants from REI http://www.rei.com/product/844210/rei-aldervale-roll-up-pants-womens because they ride lower than other hiking pants (which tend to sit across your belly button or higher) and the fit is pretty flattering.

• Serena July 14, 2013, 6:54 pm

That banana slug is pretty damn cool!

• Kam July 21, 2013, 6:13 pm

Who doesn’t love a good banana slug, right?