One of the awesome things about living in Southern California is that it is hiking season year-round! And, I’m not going to lie, one of my favorite things about hiking is the snacks! I love to eat, you see, and I take my hiking snacks very seriously. In fact, I’ll probably end up forgetting something important like a hat but I won’t forget to bring some snacks.
My favorite hiking snacks:
- Dried apricots
- Frito Scoops (they hold up better than the other kinds + SALT)
- Cuties (those small oranges)
- Honey Stigner organic waffles (the vanilla flavor is my favorite)
- Honey Stinger organic energy chews (the orange blossom is fantastic)
- Trail mix <–Here are 5 tasty variations I shared in a previous post
- Lara Bars (All the flavors are great)
- Clif Bar’s Organic Fruit Rope for kids
As you can see, many of these snacks are going to have some inherent waste. Please make sure to pack a trash bag when you go out hiking, even those orange peels need to be tossed into your trash bag! I like to bring either a plastic grocery bag or I pack my snacks in a resealable gallon-sized bag and use that for trash. Another option is to bring your snacks in reusable containers…like putting the Frito Scoops in an empty Pringles container or small Tupperware-like container.
What snacks do you bring with you on the trail?