Brave Reflection & My 2014 One Little Word

One Little Word - Brave via Campfire Chic

You know what I have a hard time doing? Staying in the moment. Really sitting still and enjoying the experience that is happening around me. My mind swirls with ideas for blog posts, worries about unanswered emails, and fixates on something that doesn’t matter at that moment…so I made sure to set this month’s intention as a personal challenge to myself: Grow brave by reflection.

First off: I hated doing “reflections” in grad school at the end of lectures or in response to a theory. Hated it. It’s over and done with, can’t I take a quick multiple choice quiz about it instead? Don’t worry, I learned the value of reflecting and taking time to slow down and think about what is happening around me (or what happened around me a short time ago) instead always focusing on what’s next. It’s December, so I figure it’s a good time to take inventory on the year and celebrate our little and big victories, forgive things we let slip or the mistakes we made…and we’ll hold off on making plans until next month.

Reflecting on the year really goes along with last month’s email about forgiving ourselves and creating what one subscriber called her “hell yeah!” list. I’m inviting you to create your own “hell yeah!” list this month…and a “lesson learned” list, if you feel inclined to reflect on things that didn’t go so well this year. I’ll be adding things like waiting until the last minute to create 6 Lego-minifig Halloween costumes to that list!

Why last month’s exercise had me thinking it would be good for this month: Kristinresponded to the email with: “It’s amazing how many of these things I forgot. And how many didn’t seem like huge deals at the time, but I look back and go “Wow. Go me”. Even something as simple as putting oil in my car.”

Some of the things other readers said they accomplished this year:
·        I traveled to NYC by myself.
·        Learning to “leg go”
·        Completing a 5K
·        I realized I’m good at things other than what I’m doing right now

What is one thing you discovered about yourself this year?

What is one thing you would like to try next year?

If you aren’t sure how to answer that, let’s take a look at what we chatted about this year:
·        Set brave goals
·        Be brave enough
·        Make brave plans
·        Make a brave choice
·        Take a brave step
·        Make a brave attempt
·        Honor a brave decision
·        Make a brave push
·        Reach for brave limits
·        Go to brave heights
·        Be brave enough to forgive

If any of those emails really spoke to you, take a second to think about why you feel that way. Was it because it arrived in your mailbox at the exact moment you really needed it? Were you making big choices this year and taking leaps of faith? Consider those goals and choices you made…they probably had a big impact on your year. Let’s add these things to our knowledge bank and prepare to move forward into 2014 a little wiser, a little taller, and a little more confident in ourselves. Hit reply and lay it on me…what are you adding to your list(s) and what plans you have for the rest of the month.

My OLW for 2014

I think Brave will always be a big part of my life, to be honest, but thinking back to my 2012 word (Focus) I think I need a word that is about action and following through with things. Thanks to Megan of The Nerd Nest for the idea, my 2014 One Little Word is FINISH. I’ll continue to post about ‘brave’ things, but you will also see some posts about the new word – It’ll work, I promise.
2014 One Little Word - FINISH by Campfire Chic
I love to brainstorm, plan, and start projects, but sometimes (most of the time) I don’t actually follow through and finish things. I’ll be working throughout 2014 to keep things simple blog/business-wise, creatively, and in my personal life so I am more likely to finish what I start. That means that damn quilt will finally be finished this year, I’ll finish some resources I have planned for the monthly email subscribers, and things like that. I’ll be doing Ali Edwards’ One Little Word workshop again this year, more to keep my word at the front of my mind than for the monthly activities, and I have the feeling some Campfire Chic readers will be playing along, too.

So here’s a big thank you to BRAVE and a warm welcome to FINISH.

Do you have a “One Little Word” for 2014?

2013 2014 Finish One Little Word

• Kristin December 27, 2013, 5:59 am

‘Brave’ really infiltrated my life and habits this year and I’m sad to see it go. ‘Finish’ is something I could use some help with as I do the same thing, starting projects – big or little – and not finishing them (procrastinators unite!). I wouldn’t even know where to begin to pick a word! So many options…

• Kam December 29, 2013, 8:56 pm

I really saw that brave had an impact on you based on your newsletter responses — seriously, so cool. Driving around, traveling on your own, and stepping out of your comfort zone are all things you should be proud of those year. You may be too in love with words to select just one for the year…maybe one word for each month would be more your style?

• Shirsha December 27, 2013, 11:12 am

Oh, “finish” could be my word almost every year. I am notorious for starting off on projects and never completing them. Not that I did too much about it, but I chose my OWL for this year as “Do”. I would rate myself as probably B- or even a C on that. Not planning to do the OWL workshop, but thinking of using “Commit” as my guiding word for 2014. I like to beat myself up for things that I don’t do/complete, but truth is, a few things that I have managed to get done during the year, I have been super committed to. So, I am taking off on that positive note and hoping to “commit” to more things in my life. Let’s see where I am, at the end of the year. Good luck with your word, too. :)

• Kam December 29, 2013, 8:55 pm

After I read your comment the other day, I saw “DO” everywhere I looked! Do is so fantastic — an action word, and even a mini-warcry! Don’t rate yourself, think of it as pass/fail and you totally passed with those scores ;) Commit is awesome and totally scary at the same time. I bet if you focus (my 2012 word) on fewer things, it’ll be easier to commit to your projects. While the workshop is nice for structure, it isn’t for everybody, it sounds like you keep your word close to your heart and on your mind throughout the year without any help.

• Kristin December 29, 2013, 1:42 pm

Mine is Heroine. I need to remind myself that I’m the hero of my story and that overcoming struggle creates greatness.

• Kam December 29, 2013, 8:50 pm

I LOVE that you chose that word – it reminds me of The Holiday, when Kate Winslet’s character realizes that she can’t be the sidekick in her own story. I think it’s strong, it’s empowering, and sounds like it’s just what you need :)

• Jeri January 1, 2014, 7:11 pm

My word: Leap

As in leap of faith. It is all centered around taking my blog “to the next level”, expanding and refocusing on what I really want it yo be…a place that encourages and inspires others.

• Kam January 2, 2014, 10:42 am

LOVE this. Love it. I especially love that your focus is on your blog and using it as a venue to encourage and inspire others – you’ve got this!

• Laura January 2, 2014, 4:49 am

I’ve really enjoyed your updates on BRAVE and it has kicked me into actions a couple of times :) My word was CHANGE, and whilst there were A LOT of changes for me in 2013 I didn’t really feel it helped me to deal with those changes. I’ve chosen BUILD for 2014 and I really hope that it will help me throughout the year to get to where I want to be and to get some stuff done. I look forward to seeing how FINISH finds its way into your life in 2014 :)

• Kam January 2, 2014, 10:41 am

I mention this a bit in my comment on your OLW post, but I think CHANGE was more a part of your life than you think – I think you mentally prepared yourself at the start of the year with your word and it kept things as less of a “surprise” when they happened. You were ready for your change with the roller derby and the other changes that came your way. But maybe that’s just what I saw from my side of the screen :)