Evening Project: Art Journal

Art Journal - Evening Project for Creatives - Campfire Chic

In line with this year’s One Little Word theme: FINISH, I wanted to share a project you can start and finish in one evening. An art journal.

When feeling anxious, do you find yourself doing something with your hands to help keep your mind off of things? Maybe you clean the bathroom, bake up a storm, or go for a run. I like to create small projects when I’m feeling like I need a little bit of control.

I was inspired to create an art journal after reading through Kara’s new class: Tell a Story. I’m not a big journaler, but I am a big fan of projects where I can use up old supplies that I can’t seem to part with. This project was exactly what I needed.

Art Journal by Classes Kara Made - Campfire Chic

Loosely Bound Art Journal - Campfire Chic

I made the art journal using a bit of cardstock packaging I got in the mail recently. I covered the label and any stamps with other paper. I sliced the packaging open so it would create a window-like effect. Keeping the top and bottom flaps prevents the pages from falling out — I didn’t want to bind the pages, it would take too much time/energy and I just wanted to finish a project.

Art Journal With Scrapbook Material - Campfire Chic

Layered Polaroid Card for Art Journal - Campfire Chic

There is a combination of images, text, and pieces of “stuff” I had in my supply box. May favorite part of this project (and something I picked up from Kara’s class) was using tissue paper for some of my pages. I had this idea that art journal pages had to be a certain way, but Kara’s class really helped me break down those ideas and inspired me to create what I needed that night — a way to visually remind myself to take some time, to do what I need to do, and that I’m not alone.

Layered Paper for Art Journal - Campfire Chic

If you’re feeling anxious, need to get something off of your chest, or just need to get some supplies off of your desk, may I suggest a project you can finish in an evening? This art journal is going to be what I reach for the next time I’m feeling a bit adrift.

What do you do when you’re feeling anxious/overwhelmed?

14 Flares Twitter 8 Pin It Share 3 Facebook 1 Google+ 0 Email -- Buffer 2 14 Flares ×

2014 Confession Finish Inspiration Memory Keeping One Little Word What I Made

• Elizabeth Rosemond February 13, 2014, 7:53 am

The bookmaker in me LOVES every single bit of this! Adore the gatefold-ish opening.

I’ve been feeling very anxious/restless lately. A few days ago, I pulled out all of my bookmaking supplies and started folding. It’s helped a little :)

• Kam February 21, 2014, 7:24 am

I think it totally helps when Creatives like us do something with our hands…almost cathartic?

• katie smith February 13, 2014, 2:17 pm

I love that there are so many different styles of art journaling.

• Kam February 21, 2014, 7:25 am

Same here, Katie! I’m sure my “style” isn’t what somebody else would consider art journaling, but we’re all different, right? You just can’t take the scrapbooker out of me :D

• Ethos Adventures February 13, 2014, 6:45 pm

So cute!

• Angie February 13, 2014, 9:28 pm

This is BRILLIANT. I am amazed whenever I see handmade art journals. I have an art journal that I bought from the store, so it’s not quite handmade despite what I put inside. You inspire me so! I started art journaling last year, and it’s relaxing and addictive!

Also for me, I cuddle with Jen and the cats, eat comfort food, go outside and take pictures, paint my nails, and browse: Tumblr, Stumbleupon, deviantART and BuzzFeed.

• Kam February 21, 2014, 7:26 am

Thanks for the ideas on other ways to unwind – I think an update to my toes is needed, mint is getting a little tiring :)

• Kristin - My Life as a Teacup February 14, 2014, 5:07 am

I’m always in awe of art journals and how unique and beautiful they look, but I’ve never been one to make one myself. I love the idea of using up old supplies, though! I can’t stand to part with pretty pieces, even when they’re impractical or just scraps.

• Kam February 21, 2014, 7:27 am

I TOTALLY know what you mean! I have the smallest scraps laying around doing nothing but I have a hard time parting with them – I’m considering making a journal/album just dedicated to thing…mixing Kara’s Tell a Story art journal class with Amy’s Tell Its Story memory-keeping class!

• elina February 19, 2014, 10:45 pm

Made your journal look so easy.. I have been struggling to keep art journaling.. you inspired how simple and wow it looks. Off to journal, thanks

• Kam February 21, 2014, 7:28 am

Simple is sometimes best. I think going in with little expectations helped the perfectionist in me just deal with the fact that it may not be perfect