28 Things to do Before I Turn 29

28 Things to Do Before I Turn 29 - Campfire Chic

I’m a sucker for lists.

I had a fun time documenting things last year and I want to do it again this year — maybe even make a cute album like Kristin’s — so I’m doing it again this year.

Carrying over from last year:

• Do a headstand
  • Reach $400 in my yoga teacher training savings
  • Send a 5.10 a/b at the rock climbing gym
  • Pay off my credit card
  • Make a loaf of bread
  • Hold crow pose
  • Do 1 pull up
  • Develop an exit strategy
  • Get a tattoo
  • Complete my 2013/14 One Little Word project
  • Take a time-lapse photo

I’m not worried about having such a large carry-over this year. I mean, I had “buy tires” on my list about three years, so it’s not something I’m going to stress about. Some of the things on there that I could probably do in a weekend just need to be done in front of somebody who can take a photo without making me look like Medusa or some other horrific creature. Essentially, waiting to meet up with Amy soon :)

Added to the list this year:

• Catch up on Doctor Who
  • Get my passport
  • Read 5 non-comic books
  • Establish an organization system for my digital files
  • Visit a comic-book store not in CA
  • Cosplay
  • Read 20 of our graphic novels/volumes
  • Buy a pair of jeans I LOVE
  • Launch a new product/offering
  • Surprise somebody
  • Get new headshots taken
  • Write 6 guest blog posts
  • Fully unpack moving boxes
  • Experiment with stamping
  • Experiment with watercolors
  • Establish a nightly yoga routine
  • Take a non-online class

As I’m writing this post, I’m walking around the apartment pulling books I want to read, stacking them next to the comic books I want to finish (hopefully before San Diego’s Comic-Con so I can complete my sets), and emailing Amy about meeting up soon for a micro-adventure and photo-taking.

Thinking of putting together a list of things you want to complete by your next birthday? Here are some things to keep in mind:

• Select things that have a distinct end-point – I’m reading over my 26 things to do before I turn 27 list and things like “spend more money on clothes that will last” doesn’t really belong on a list like this.
  • Be realistic – knowing your limits when it comes to a challenge like this is important. I didn’t put “write 12 guest blog posts” here because I know that I’ll be lucky to get 6 posts written and published, let alone 12. If 12 happens, awesome.
  • Think ahead – if you’re going on a trip and want to do something cool or unique, put that on the list. Last year, I wrote “roll down a sand dune” and “stand in the lowest point in North America” because I KNEW I would going to those places. It’s not cheating because it’s my list and I’ll do what I want.

About Kam Goals

• Meg March 13, 2014, 5:53 am

I think your list sounds great and I’m super excited for you! starting a regular yoga practice has been on my going on year three, but I’m finally doing it! (One tip on the jeans – Athleta Frontier jeans. Pricey, but for someone as active as yourself I think you might appreciate the technical aspect of them – while they still can be dressed up too!)

• Kam March 15, 2014, 3:32 pm

Thank you SO MUCH for the jean recommendation! I’ll have to see if I have a store nearby to try them on!

• Katie March 13, 2014, 5:53 am

Get it! I like to include things on my lists that I know I can finish right NOW too because this way I’m more likely to finish a few.

• Kam March 15, 2014, 3:30 pm

YES, exactly! I’m thankful that I have a good idea of what is coming up for me this year (generally speaking) so I could make this list doable ;)

• Kat March 13, 2014, 6:25 am

Awesome list! I have always wanted to try cosplay also but I think I might be too shy for it! Also, a 5.10a/b gggiiiiirrrrllllll, you got that!

• Kam March 15, 2014, 3:26 pm

I wear my Dalek dress to work sometimes, so it’s like cosplay-lite, ha! I’m soo weak right now that I’m not sure I could get my butt up a 5.8 right now :( :( :(

• Han March 13, 2014, 2:12 pm

I extended mine to be “Things Before I’m 30″ then again I wrote it last April then fell pregnant in October. Maybe I need to revisit my list.

• Kam March 15, 2014, 3:25 pm

Add “grow a human” and you’ll be able to cross something else off of your list ;P

• Sara March 14, 2014, 7:13 am

Time lapse photos are super fun! I haven’t done any in about a year because my release cable broke.. but I recently got a new one and can’t wait to play with it again when it gets warmer! My favorites are star time-lapses :)

• Kam March 15, 2014, 3:23 pm

Sara, have you ever tried any of the timelapse apps for iPhone? I downloaded one that looks…promising?

• Rachel Z March 14, 2014, 7:17 am

Sounds like a fun year is ahead of you! I love that you want to have a nightly yoga routine. That’s something I’d also like to do, but not sure I could do it every single night. I’ll look forward to reading what you do about it.

• Kam March 15, 2014, 3:16 pm

I’m thinking of keeping it simple with 8 poses, max. Things that will help me relax and kind of trigger the “hey! It’s time for bed!” feelz. I’ll post about it once I have something that sticks :)